Julie has practised family law since 1989 and she is Head of Family Law based at Elliot Mather’s Chesterfield office.
Her interest in family law originated from 5 years working as a court clerk for Chesterfield County Court. Julie initially joined the firm as a paralegal before becoming a Member of the Institute of Legal Executives in 1994 and later qualifying as a solicitor.
Julie is also an accredited family mediator.
Julie advises on pre-nuptial agreements and if the worst happens and a relationship does fail, she handles all aspects of that relationship breakdown including issues relating to children, finances and domestic abuse in an efficient and practical manner.
A large proportion of Julie's workload comes from personal recommendations.
Areas of interest and experience
- Drafting thorough and comprehensive pre-nuptial or cohabitation agreements to provide for the unfortunate breakdown of relationships
- Acting for the husband or the wife in the breakdown of a marriage or civil partnership to agree an acceptable solution to issues of a financial nature including lump sums, property adjustment orders, pension sharing and attachment orders as well as maintenance (both for a spouse and children)
- Advising company directors, or their spouse, on the financial settlements – which are usually complicated by the requirement for a valuation of the business or director’s shareholding and pension rights
- Divorce or relationship breakdown, where there is substantial property holdings – often including properties overseas.
- Advising on the treatment of inherited assets in divorce, particularly in farming families where a farm may be jointly owned with siblings
- Supporting clients in situations of domestic violence
- Advising parents regarding arrangements for their children including where the children should live and how much time they should spend with the other parent.
- Advising parents where either they or their former partner want to take children to live either outside or England and Wales or elsewhere in the UK.
Professional memberships & pro bono
Julie is a Resolution accredited specialist solicitor in the areas of financial provision, private law children work and domestic abuse and an accredited family mediator. Resolution (www.resolution.org.uk) campaigns for the improvement of family law and the family justice system and is committed to developing and promoting the highest standards of practice.