We have specialists in many areas of legal practice. Make an enquiry today: 0330 333 2613
When you sell a property now, the first thing that you need to do is commission a Home Information Pack before putting your property on the market.
We can assist you with this and the experienced team at Elliot Mather is on hand to guide you though this complicated process and keep you informed at every stage.
We provide a friendly personal service, and whilst we make use of all the latest technology you are always welcome to pop in to any of our offices – whichever is more convenient for you.
Obtain an instant quotation
Please use the form below to obtain an instant quotation for:
- Property sale
- Sale and purchase
If you are selling a property due to divorce or relationship breakdown please telephone your nearest office as we will need to discuss the particulars in a little more detail.
For further information
To help you through the sale process, please see our factsheets page.
Our fees cover all of the standard work required to complete the sale of your residential property to include preparing the contract, liaising with your buyer’s solicitors, completing the sale and sending you the sale proceeds. The amount sent to you will be net of any mortgage which we will return to your lender, deduction of the agreed legal costs and any sums due to third parties which you authorise us to pay such as estate agents charges.
Our quotation includes:-
- Taking your instructions and advising you throughout on the process and routine matters
- Providing the Sellers Property Information form and Fixtures and Fittings form for your completion
- Obtaining your title deeds and documents and obtaining Official Copy of Register Entries and ancillary documents of title where applicable
- Preparing draft Contract and submitting the same to the purchasers solicitors
- Replying to purchaser’s preliminary enquiries
- Obtaining your signature to the Contract as approved and effecting exchange of Contracts
- Deducing title and answering requisitions thereon approving draft Transfer,
- Obtaining your execution to the engrossment Transfer
- Completing the matter including all incidental formalities correspondence and attendances subject to a fair and reasonable quantity as would be expected in a normal transaction and subject to the other terms of our engagement set out in our estimate of costs and terms of engagement.
- Discharge of your mortgage(s) if any on the property, including correspondence with the mortgagee requesting the deeds and repayment figure(s) and preparing the appropriate documentation to discharge your charge
Our Quotation does not include:-
- Remedying any defects in the title
- Agreeing redemption figures with lenders or loan companies
- Discharging unsecured loans
- Providing any advice or recommendations on tax, community care or welfare benefits
- Providing any Financial Advice
- Dealing with any post completion dispute arising from any breach of contract or misrepresentation
- Any fees payable to the Landlord for a sales pack
Our experienced team are here to ensure your transaction proceeds smoothly. You can meet the team here. All work is supervised by an experienced Partner. We act for a large range of clients in relation to buying and selling residential property from first time buyers to experienced developers and investors.
How long will it take?
How long it will take from you accepting the offer on the property until the sale is completed will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 8 and 12 weeks.
There are often many other factors outside of our control which affect how long it will take to buy your property - particularly when there are lots of buyers and sellers in the chain. This means we cannot tell you exactly how long it will take to sell the property but we will keep you informed of progress at regular intervals.
Each case and circumstances are different and it is impossible to provide an average cost. Our fees are generally calculated with reference to the value of the property but generally our standard fee scale ranges from £399 plus vat to £1000.00 plus vat. You can obtain a more accurate estimate by using our online quote facility here.
If the transaction aborts before the matter has completed we will charge you for the work we have undertaken to that point. Again every case is different and its hard to say what charge will be applied as the depends upon the work undertaken at that stage but as a general indication
|Stages||Typical Fees Charged|
|Pre Contract Work||25% of legal fees quoted|
|Contract Issued||50% of legal fees quoted|
|Post Contract Enquiries / Issues||75% of legal fees quoted|
|Contract Signed/Post Contract||Full Estimate of costs Quoted above|
|In addition there may be supplemental legal costs, to be added to the fees mentioned above.|
Examples of these are as follows (the list is not exhaustive): Additional Items
|Indicative Additional Costs Payable|
|Redemption of second mortgage||£175.00 plus vat|
|Help To Buy mortgage redemption||£175.00 plus vat|
|Leasehold Property||£200.00 plus vat|
In addition we will incur disbursements on your behalf. Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Land Registry fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Please note that VAT is payable on our costs and on some disbursements. In addition we also charge a bank transfer fee for sending money through the electronic bank system.
Disbursements may include the following:
Land Registry Official Copy Fee £12.00 estimated
Our charge for a same day bank fee in a residential transaction is
Bank Transfer Fee £30.00 (inc vat)
There may also be payments to third parties eg where the property is leasehold or freehold with communal areas subject to yearly fees to the landlord and /or management company and/or Managing agents for replies to LPE1 (Leasehold Property Enquiries) or FME1 (Freehold Management Enquiries)
In order to calculate the total costs associated with the purchase, you will need to add the legal costs together with the VAT, any disbursements (and where applicable the VAT on these items).
Our fee assumes that:
- Any joint sellers are in agreement and they do not require separate correspondence or representation.
- There are no title defects that need to be rectified or insured against.
- The title is registered and vacant possession will be given on completion.
- You have one lender (who is a Member of the Council of Mortgage Lenders) who is cooperative in respect of providing settlement figures when required.
- If the property has been extended or altered that you are in possession of all the necessary documentary evidence of compliance with planning and building regulations.
- You have full records and compliance certificate for all services
- All ground rent and service charges are paid up to date and there are no disputes with your freeholder.
Or Enter Previous Reference
Elliot Mather LLP maintains professional indemnity insurance in accordance with the rules of the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Details of the insurers and the territorial coverage of the policy are available for inspection at our offices.
Registered Office: St. Mary's Court, St. Mary's Gate, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England, S41 7TD
VAT Number: 126 3019 03
Regulatory Notice: Elliot Mather LLP is a limited liability partnership. Partnership number OC321320.
Authorised and regulated by The Solicitors' Regulation Authority. To view code of conduct visit www.sra.org.uk/code-of-conduct.page